Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Can We Save Our Police & Fire From Budget Cuts in Tulsa?

Folks... this is a very short, but very to the point column. I have an idea and I want to share it with you and gain your feedback.

Everyone knows, without any doubt, that I am against raising taxes in nearly every single case. However, when it comes to our public safety officials (fire, law enforcement) being screwed because of incompetence in elected leadership, I start getting a little bit partial to their, and our, well being. I believe I have come up with an idea here...The population of Tulsa is approx. 380,000. Add $1.00 to every water bill for 12 months and only 12 months. $1 x 12mo = $12 x 380,000 = $4,560,000.00 / 2 = $2,280,000.00. Give 2.28 million to fire and 2.28 million to PD and let's call it a done deal. Of course this doesn't include all the businesses that are served by the City of Tulsa Water Department. Add those numbers in and we could probably increase each by a half million or so.

I'm not suggesting we just do this without the will of the people, I'm suggesting we put it to a vote and see how our fellow citizens feel about it. Just a thought folks... just a thought. I bid you good day.

Matthew Q. Llewellyn, Founder
The American Libertarian Movement

Copyright 2009 Matthew Q. Llewellyn

No comments:

Post a Comment