Monday, July 27, 2009

Two Deputies killed in Oklahoma. What should we do with the killer?

Yesterday, a human piece of garbage, who I refuse to make popular by saying his name, shot and killed two of our finest here in Oklahoma. Deputy Chase Whitebird, 23, and Deputy Marvin Williams, 43, of the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, entered a residence to arrest a suspect. Upon opening the door, the suspect opened fire, striking both deputies within seconds. One Deputy died at the scene, the other died on the way to the hospital.

Since this happened I've read the story on many sites and read comment after comment, each comment offering a prayer and/or a desire to immediately kill the suspect. Since everyone else is putting in their two cents, I thought I would offer mine as well. That said, here's what I think we should do.

As much as I would love to see immediate justice, I have to stand by the right to a jury trial for this man. However, when it's a cop killer, I think we need to go the extra mile. Instead of 12 jurors, get 36 (12 x 3). This should account for his initial trial and 2 subsequent appeals. When found guilty, and I have no doubt he will be, we go old west on his butt.

One of the reasons there was little to no crime in the old west (contrary to what Hollywood depicts) is because we had something we've done away with in modern times... Public hangings.

Once found guilty, we schedule his hanging 24 hours later. He's given his day to make amends with God, have his last meal and have his attorney copy down his last wishes and desires for his affairs. (While I believe in the death penalty, I also believe in the thing that sets us apart from the ones we put to death.)

24 hours later, in front of God and everyone, we put the rope around his neck, read the charge, read the verdict, offer him last words and drop the floor out from under him. This way, every time someone thinks about killing a cop, they can remember the image of him dropping and hanging to his death.

Rest in peace fallen brothers... Go walk your beat on Heaven's street, you've done your time in hell.

Matthew Q. Llewellyn

1 comment:

  1. Very well put Matthew. I know that you don't know me. But one day you will. My brother is a police officer and has been for 37 years.

    Keep Up The Good Work.

    Bill Shoemaker

    ReplyDelete