Friday, January 23, 2009

Is it time for gun control?

Is it time for gun control?
By Matthew Llewellyn, Founder
America's Conservative Movement
My personal blog

Folks, I'm beginning to wonder if it's time for a little gun control as a desperate attempt to stop these senseless gun related deaths.

Just this last week here in Tulsa, OK a 6 year old boy with down syndrome accidentally shot and killed himself with a .22 caliber revolver. Before I move forward I want to say, I am sorry for this families loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Moving on.

Further into the investigations surrounding the events Tulsa Police have discovered that the gun was stolen during a home burglary the preceding Monday.

Folks... I hate to say this... but gun control might have stopped this senseless death.

But... before I really and truly say that, let's examine something else for a moment. Let's see if there is possibly anything else going on in the world right now, where gun control is already present, that would support gun control as a way to end senseless deaths.

Well, lookie here... there is. In Belgium today, where guns are strictly prohibited and under no circumstances can a citizen have one, a man armed with a knife walked into a day care and stabbed 13 people, killing 3, 2 of them being small children.

But how can this be? I don't understand. This just doesn't make sense. In Belgium there are no gun rights therefore there should be no crime and no murders, accidental deaths, etc. But here it is, bright as day. I'm reading it right now. "Knife attack kills 3 at nursery"
I think I know what is needed here folks.

We need some knife control in Belgium, and probably here in America too. I mean my God... I just started thinking about this and I am honestly terrified. Think about this for a minute.

Right now... at this very moment... whether it's a dollar store, a walmart or an expensive home decor outlet, millions and millions of deadly knives are for sale for less than $10.00. What's more, anyone can buy them! It doesn't matter if you are 8 or 80, if you have the couple dollars to fork over to a careless cashier at the local grocery store, you've got yourself an instrument of destruction and death.

Think for a minute how many people you know who have been accidentally injured by knives. I am willing to bet you have injured yourself at least 3 or more times in the past 10 years while carelessly using this device of death.

I just thought about this... right now, there are knives in every single government indoctrination center (public school) in the country! Jesus Christ! How absolutely irresponsible are we!? We have placed deadly weapons into the hands of children without ever giving it a second though. My God! Perhaps we are the ones who belong in prison.

Obviously, with knives so readily available, it's only a matter of time before you or a family member accidentally injure or kill yourself. Not to mention; What's going to happen when one of these manic depressive students abused by the system realizes they have the power to use this knife which just so happens to be handed to him by the local lunch lady?... People are going to die. That's something to think about. Think about that head line "Tax payer negligence leads to lunch room murder."

We have to stop the sale, distribution and ownership of knives world wide and we have to do it now folks!

We need "no tolerance knife control." Perhaps we need a knife buy-back program, or perhaps instead of car washes this year we get the Hooter's girls involved with a new "spanks for shanks" program.

I don't know what for sure, but we've got to do something. In Belgium, completely removing guns from the picture didn't stop anything.

Okay... now that I'm done pretending I'm a liberal let me be the brilliant and true conservative that I am.

We have gun control in America. It has never stopped a single gun related death. Legal gun owners do not kill people without cause, it just doesn't happen. If a law abiding citizen discharges their firearm you can be assured it was in defense of life, be it their life or another.

Belgium, and other places with no tolerance gun control still have gun related violence. How is that possible? Because criminals don't respect or follow the law. They are going to get a gun one way or the other, no matter where in the world they happen to be. What's the difference in America? The criminals stand a little less chance of survival since the citizens have the ability to protect themselves.

Do you think knife control would have stopped this lunatic from walking into that nursery and killing people? Of course not. That is as absurd as saying gun control would stop someone from walking in there with a gun. Let's imagine, for just a moment, that he couldn't get a knife. What would he use then? A baseball bat, barbell, 2x4 or a chainsaw? Or maybe he would go Hollywood and use a really sharp and sinister looking axe?

Folks... any type of weapon control is never going to stop violence, or murder. I am the first to say, if gun control would truly stop all murder and violence, I would turn over my guns in a heart beat. But it won't folks. Criminals don't obey those laws and they never will. That is one of the reasons the 2nd Amendment was put into place. Our founding fathers, among other things, wanted to assure our ability to protect our lives and property against any and all threats.

As it stands now, in America, law abiding citizens still, if they decide to, have the upper hand over criminals. You can purchase a firearm, obtain a concealed weapons permit and carry your firearm with you just about anywhere you go. You can also, without needing a license, purchase a firearm and keep it in your home to protect yourself, family and property. Will I ever have to kill someone? Probably not, and I pray not. Will most legal gun owners ever have to kill someone? Odds are very much against it ever happening, and I assure you they also pray they will never have the need to do so.

But... so long as a threat exist, we make sure we are ready to respond to that threat with whatever force is necessary. This may come as a surprise to you, but I am not anticipating nor do I expect my home to ever catch on fire. It could happen, but, statistically, it's very unlikely I would wind up in that smaller statistic. Regardless, I still keep a fire extinguisher in my home... and it, like my gun, is also loaded and ready to go.

As you know, President Obama, who swore to uphold and defend the U.S. Constitution, has already said he intends to establish no tolerance gun control laws within his term. Even though doing so is, by definition, a tyrannical act against the people by it's government.

I leave you with a quote from one of our founding fathers, the Honorable Thomas Jefferson; "The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I bid you good day.

1 comment:

  1. You KNOW I agree with you! 100%!

    Stop the sale of knives immediately.

    Ooohh...I LIKE the "knife-buyback" idea! Knives are even on clearance at Target right now...perhaps I'll get a couple extra for the buyback!

    (It can help pay for the clothes my children will need after CPSIA comes into effect next month.)

    ReplyDelete